Seawave 2: reconsidering a rudder

Gumotex Seawave main page

See also

Rudder rationale discussed
Gumotex’s 2016 factory version
Making the Mk1 prototype rudder
Testing the Mk1
Mk2 rudder tested (gets to the point)

Rather like sails where I MYO’d, lost interest, then returned to the idea (with a proper WindPaddle), after five years I’ve come back to the idea of fitting a rudder on Seawave 2. Mostly, this was inspired by a much simpler pivoting footrest tube idea of fellow Seawaver Jules, instead of cumbersome foot pedals I made. It could make the Seawave more useable in a slightly greater range of weathers, which includes sailing which I tried again recently.

I could have bought the Gumotex rudder kit for £219, but as always it’s more fun to piss about on the pretext of saving money. I coughed up 25 quid on the longest rudder mechanism I could see on eBay, at 510mm. The stern-mounted rudder plate is another slab of LDPE chopping board, but clamped down only via the drain hole and with stick-on velcro, as Jules and Gumotex use. I found secure clamping of the rudder mounting plate to be important to stop it turning on its axis. Two points of fixture will eliminate any deflection, and hopefully the stick-on velcro will do that.

Another smart idea idea Jules had was running the rudder lines forward under the deck velcro inside long, thin tubing. That largely eliminates any exposed lines which can get caught up in a puffin’s waders.
Finally, I will use his idea of controlling the rudder by pivoting my footrest ‘drainpipe’ tube pivot from the centre, eliminating the need for cumbersome foot pedals, whichever way you do it.